I have been through many people who ask me about How to become Machine learning experts and do we require a PhD degree to become machine learning engineers?
So before answering these questions I would like to briefly explain who is the machine learning Expert/Engineer?
Who is ML Expert/Engineer?
A Machine learning engineer is the one who builds and designs self-running software applications that learns from the data. In short, ML Engineers are responsible for developing the software applications, which can learn on their own without human intervention. A quick example of these applications is the recommendation systems such as Movie/Season recommendation on Netflix and product recommendation during Online Shopping.
Furthermore, Machine learning engineers are responsible for performing several tasks such as, running ML experiments using ML Libraries and programming languages, deploying ML solution, optimizing those solutions, analyzing the data and applying the basic data engineering.
5 Easy steps to become ML Expert/Engineer
You don’t need a PhD degree to become ML Engineer. Here are the 5 easy steps to become ML Engineer/Expert:
- As, ML is an interdisciplinary field, it takes some concepts from Software engineering and some from Data Science. So to become a Machine Learning Engineer you need to have basic concepts from both of the domains.
- After clearing up the concepts of Software engineering and data science, you need an experience for ML.
- For theoretical work, you can take course from Coursera, Udacity or Udemy etc
- For Practical experience you need to do some real time projects using some real dataset. Kaggle is one of the widely known platform for downloading a real dataset according to your problem.
- There are number of Blogs, articles, video tutorials available, you have to read, watch, listen and apply them to have grip on your ML skills.
Once you have grip on your ML skills, TaDa Congrats, You are a ML Expert now!!!